Atonement

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Atonement centers around the love story of rich Cecilia Tallis and the housekeeper’s son, Robbie Turner. Despite the class differences, they couldn’t stay away from each other. In their eyes, there is nothing wrong with it. But during their time period and era, such class differences are looked down upon.

Just as their love story was just beginning, they are both separated because of a false accusation from Cecilia’s younger sister, Briony, who thought they were doing something very wrong. Robbie is sent off to war that not only separated him from Cecila for years, but changed their lives forever.

I loved this book, although I am not a fan of the author’s other works. I loved the movie because of James McAvoy’s performance as well as Keira Knightley’s. But in the end, I love both creations simply because of the story. I was able to read the book first before seeing the movie and I don’t know if I could actually pick which one was better.

The story is incredible. One of the best stories I have ever heard of and read. The characters and the situations they deal with are still stuck in my head. Although Briony did something horrible, I found myself actually liking her towards the end and even feeling sorry for her.

The ending, to me, is probably one of the most memorable endings of all time, in my opinion. :: SLIGHT spoiler:: However, it is also one of the most depressing.

I always tell people; please read the book first before seeing the movie. And yes, go ahead read the book because it is the original and it really is worth your time. But I do have to say that for this story, either one is perfectly fine. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh the ending was just mind blowing right? Ahhhh I haven't watched the movie yet! I think I'll do that today because of your awesome review. Book was amazing I have to say. Thanks for sharing lovey :)

    ReplyDelete