The Hundred Secret Senses

Sunday, January 10, 2010

I could say openly that Amy Tan is one of my favorite authors. The Joy Luck Club is one of my favorite books. While The Hundred Secret Senses did not make it to my favorites list, it definitely made me want to read the rest of Amy Tan’s creations.

This book is about Olivia, half Chinese and half American, who grew up in San Francisco, California. When she was younger, she met her half-sister, Kwan, who came straight from China. Kwan introduces her Chinese heritage, memories, and history through her own eyes. Olivia explains in the book, “My sister Kwan believes she has Yin eyes. She sees those who have died and now dwell in the World of Yin…” Olivia, a photographer, is now in her mid-30s is on the verge of getting a divorce with her husband Simon, a writer. In the most unexpected situations, the three of them are flown back to China where they learn so much more than they anticipated.

Olivia’s character was not as interesting to me as I would have liked although I found Kwan to be one of the most memorable. The story, ending, and the twists themselves were interesting enough, especially with the supernatural twist. Kwan’s character was also enough to hold the whole thing together. And although the ending was less than satisfactory, this novel clearly showed Amy Tan’s skill and artistry with her craft. I could read her prose and her narratives all day. That being said, if you are a fan of the author, check this out. If not, and this is your first Tan book, read The Joy Luck Club first. That book won’t be your last of hers.

2 comments:

  1. I'm an Amy Tan fan, too, and this was my favorite among her books that I've read so far. I've also read The Joy Luck Club and The Kitchen God's Wife, both of which I enjoyed as well. I'm embarrassed to say I haven't yet read The Bonesetter's Daughter, though it's high on my to-read list. So much to read, so little time!

    You and I seem to have many book interests in common, so I'm marking your blog to check in from time to time. I hope you'll keep posting updates on Goodreads. That will help remind me. Good luck on reaching the 100 mark this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I seem to have many book interests in common, so I'm marking your blog to check in from time to time. I hope you'll keep posting updates on Goodreads. That will help remind me. Good luck on reaching the 100 mark this year! beautiful bed sheets , king size comforter sets , gul ahmed single bed sheets , fancy bed sheets with price , white duvet cover , vicky razai factory address , jersey sofa cover , velvet duvet cover

    ReplyDelete