Marley and Me

Sunday, January 10, 2010

“LIKED” is an understatement. I loved it, not just because of the writing. Yes, you can tell John Grogan is definitely a writer. And an entertaining one at that. He knows how to get your attention right from the beginning until the end in his own casual, conversational way. But that’s not really it. Saying you “loved” the story is an understatement if 1) you like dogs 2) you have dogs.

I adored the story of Marley because he was not only the worst dog, he was also one of the best I’ve heard of, if that’s even possible. Maybe it’s because he’s a Labrador Retriever and they’re natural trouble makers and sweethearts at the same time, or maybe it’s just because Marley is Marley.

I have read several memoirs about dogs and their owners before, but this is my favorite. I understand why it deserves a place in the bestsellers list and why it was made into a movie. Sweet, funny, almost in an absurd way. You have to ask yourself by the end of the book, how could I be crying? It’s just a book. It’s just a dog.

Yeah right. Just a dog=)

No comments:

Post a Comment