Quick Reviews

Monday, February 8, 2010


The Fan Maker's Inquisition by Rikki Ducornet
  • The Fan-Maker's Inquisition is about the thoughts and life of the Marquis de Sade, written in letters and written entries during his imprisonment.
  • I was really interested with reading this one. In the beginning, it seemed as if the characters would hold up, and the plot would develop and become even more interesting. The writing was promising, with its good use of deft words and poetic prose. However, in the end, it was just pretty flat and empty. So I do not recommend this, simply because I don't think anyone should waste their time with a book that starts off with a lot of potential, only to let them down in the end.

The Luxe by Anna Godbersen

  • This is a young adult book, set in New York city IN 1899. Girls and women are expected to be demure, sophisticated, and elegant. In this novel, it shows four young women, doing the exact opposite of what is expected in their social standing. If these wrongdoings and their secrets are revealed, things are not going to go exactly as what anyone wants..
  • While the author does a great job creating a compelling plot that is engaging and interesting, backed up with fast-paced writing, the characters do not exactly match up so well for they are not as interested as promised. They are unconvincing, unbelievable, and unrealistic.
  • With this one, it's either you like it or you hate it. I didn't totally hate it, but I did not love it either. Having said that, I don't really recommend this, because I can think of so many other young adult titles if you are interested in stories with plots and settings like these.

Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout

  • This novel consists of several short stories all set in Maine, and all linked to one woman named Olive Kitteridge.
  • I have to agree that Elizabeth Strout's writing is exceptional, and is what ultimately kept me interested all throughout. The way she dealt with the words and how she managed to make them flow with little to no effort was pretty awesome. Also, the main character, Olive Kitteridge, is a well-defined and complex character, that is easy to get to know and like at the same time. However, I was a bit distracted from the story with the way the stories were cut and arranged.
  • This novel was (and I believe, is still) a very popular bestseller and was recommended a lot of times again and again. I wasn't disappointed, but I didn't think it was GREAT. It was good, and I don't regret reading it, but it's nothing spectacular. I also don't think I'd be re-reading it again. I do recommend it though, if you don't mind the unique (and sometimes odd) cuts and format of the stories.

Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella

  • I have read, I think, all of Kinsella's work in the chic lit department. Whenever I'm in need of a good one from that genre, Kinsella never fails. Although this book is not as good as The Shopaholic Series, this book definitely doesn't disappoint.
  • Coming from Kinsella, it's quite expected for it to have the same wit and humor. The pace was quick, and overall, the entire novel was a page turner. It was simple, and straight-forward, nothing complicated.
  • Overall, this is a great rainy/lazy day read. It's quick, entertaining, and humorous. I recommend it if you like chic lits,and if you are also a fan of Kinsella.
The Night Villa by Carol Goodman
  • This is a combination of mystery, Gothic atmosphere, suspense, thriller, literature, history, and academics. Mostly, this is a good book full of masterful writing matched up with a great setting and a list of believable characters.
  • I liked this story a lot, although there was something missing. Maybe a bit more excitement, a bit more of a "pizzazz" as they often say. And while I do recommend it to those who would enjoy a good mystery every now and then, I'm not exactly jumping up and down for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment