In My Mailbox (1)

Monday, May 3, 2010

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by Kristi from The Story Siren. It is where we showcase the books we got the past week: through the mail, purchased, won, and/or borrowed.

If you knew me, you'd know I actually DON'T purchase books that often. The reason would be that if I bought all the books I read -- and want to read -- I'd be broke. Seriously. Also, as much as I wished I had a big bookshelf, I actually don't. And believe me, it's crowded as it is.
Usually, I borrow from the library or from someone who has a copy. The only reasons I buy books are: 1) I have read the book already, liked it, and want to keep a copy for myself, 2) If it's a used book -- which would usually be half the regular price, 3) If I have a gift card for the store.
I guess at times though, the book addict in me just can't help it. It gets in a little book crazy, splurge-y mood.. like let's say for example, this past weekend.

Library Books:
  • Going Bovine by Libba Bray
Books Purchased:
  • Fablehaven Book 1
  • Fablehaven Book 2: Rise of the Evening Star (bought this today actually, just because I finished the first book in this series and it was super awesome!)
Used Books Purchased: In all fairness, I got all of these for only $5!
  • The Keepsake by Kirsty Gunn
  • The Rope Walk by Carrie Brown
  • The Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean O' Reer
  • Riding Lessons by Sara Gruen
  • The Senator's Wife by Sue Miller
  • The Invisible Circus by Jennifer Egan
  • The Lighthouse Keeper by James Michael Pratt
Received as a Gift from someone that from now on, we shall call; Timbooktoo.
  • Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card -- I usually don't read sci-fi, but everyone's raving about it! Also, this is one of Timbooktoo's favorite books, and he's been recommending this to me for the longest time! I put this on hold at the library, but he decided to give it as a pre-birthday gift! Thanks, Timbooktoo!
**
That's what I got! Now head on over to The Story Siren to post your own, and to check out what other bloggers have in their mailbox.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! That is a lot of books--you should be busy (for a little while at least). I just got Riding Lessons by Sara Gruen last week as well (got mine from Goodreads Swap). Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's quite a stack o' books! :)

    Also, I just wanted to let you know that I have an award for you!

    http://lillybook.blogspot.com/2010/05/prolific-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't buy books either but every once and a while... well I like to spoil myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw one of your new books is The Keep Sake by Kristy Gunn-that is simply a beautifully written book-I hope you will share your thoughts on it with us

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many books! I've only read Going Bovine out of those and I really enjoyed it. Have fun reading all these books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Julie P: Oh yes, I'm happy I have books on my bedside table waiting to be read. One time, I blogged about how I ran out of books! I had zero things to read, and it was a terrible little thing for me, and most likely, for any bookworm! So now, I'm always prepared ;)

    @Lily: Thank you so much for the award! I'm definitely going to post that up as soon as I can!

    @Swimmer: My thoughts exactly. Once in a while, I spoil myself.

    @mel u: I have read The Keepsake before, but just bought it so I can have a copy for myself. I agree with you; it was indeed a beautiful book.

    @Adriana: I'm not used to having so many books purchased! Haha. Did you like Going Bovine?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read The Confessions of Max Tivoli a few months back and thought it was a fantastic book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you've got some good ones! Congrats & happy reading!
    ~Angela

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Kelly: Glad to know you liked the book! Makes me want to read it even more!

    @My Book Barn: Thank you so much, hope you had good ones in your mailbox this week as well!

    ReplyDelete