Buying Time by Pamela Samuels Young

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Genre: Legal/Mystery/Thriller
Synopsis: Wavery Sloan is a down-on-his-luck lawyer. But just when he's about to hit rock bottom, he stumbles upon a business with the potential to solve all of his problems.

Review: I love the thriller genre. I just don't get to find good ones, and that is mainly the reason why I don't read them as often as I would like to. However, discovering new and entertaining mystery/thrillers is a real treat. To me, the key to get and keep me hooked on a mystery/thriller, is if it is actually.. well, mysterious and thrilling. If it keeps me thinking. Guessing. Wondering. If it's not, then why call it one, right? ;)
Buying Time by Pamela Samuels Young definitely is and did all of those for me.
It has a premise quite intriguing, and one that I have not read about that often. Right when I read the synopsis, I knew I was in for a different read. And I was right; the story was quite original and unique. As for the writing, I thought it was definitely entertaining. The author's wordplay flowed with no effort, making this a real page turner. In fact, I was able to finish this in just two days. Talk about fast-paced.

And now I will tell you, this is a dangerous book to pick up when it's late and you're ready to sleep. Because for me, there I was, past midnight -- when I should be sleeping -- devouring this. I literally could not put the book down. I know again that's such a cliche thing to say, but it's true. I was pretty much hooked.
Overall, I'd have to give this one 4 stars. It has an interesting story, backed up with solid characters and solid writing. At the end of the day, I was entertained. I recommend it.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree that it's a treat to find a great thriller/mystery book! I love reading this genre, and 95% of what I used to read was of this genre, but haven't read any lately... as you said it's hard to find a good one! So will definitely add this to TBR, thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..I have this and i think should read it very soon. I like true crimes story and this one pretty cool. nice review =)

    ReplyDelete