Oxygen by Carol Cassella

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Genre: General Fiction, Contemporary/Literary
Source: Purchased -- Used
Summary: Dr. Marie Heaton is at the height of her profession. Backed up with years upon years of good education and useful experiences, she is now a successful and trusted anesthesiologist at a top hospital in Seattle. But when an unexpected turn of events happen in the operating room under her care, and a child dies, Marie is forced to deal with this sudden nightmare.

Review:
This was an okay read. I thought it was good, but it wasn't amazing or anything spectacular. I probably wouldn't even put this on my 'Top 10 Books Read in 2010 So Far' list, but it was good nonetheless. I thought that the premise was original, unique, and was very interesting. Fortunately, the whole book wasn't at all like any typical story, and it is most definitely intriguing.
As for the writing, I thought it was good as well -- very poetic and eloquent in nature. Sure, there were times that I found myself a bit bored by it, even wanting it to be finished soon, but overall, I thought it was still an entertaining read.
The question is, would I recommend it? Here's where it might get a little tricky. I think it totally depends on the reader.
First off, this novel is heavy on medical-related issues. For me, who enjoys reading about medicine-related topics and stories, I found this thought-provoking and compelling; Mainly because I was learning a lot about a topic I actually find interesting. However -- and this is kind of a big deal -- I am wondering, would someone who's not exactly interested in anything that is related to the medical field still be able to enjoy this? Maybe. Then again, maybe not. I think this is the kind of book that needs a "reader-by-reader" kind of basis. So go ahead and read the synopsis, learn what it's about, and then decide if it's something you think you'd like. For me, I give it 3.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment