a trip to a bookstore results to this.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

I went to the bookstore today, just to look around. I wasn't meaning to get anything, as I wasn't really sure what to get to begin with, but while wandering around the YA section, I saw a random book I have never heard of. It's Annexed by Sharon Dogar, which is apparently "a powerful story of the boy who loved Anne Frank." I picked it up right away.

Like I said, I didn't know anything about it or what it was about, but it did look interesting. As soon as I read the synopsis, I was immediately sold.

What was it like hiding in the Annex with Anne Frank? To be with Anne every day while she wrote so passionately in her diary? To be in a secret world within a world at war -- alive on the inside, everything dying on the outside?
Peter Van Pels and his family have lost their country, their home, and their freedom, and now they are fighting desperately to remain alive. Look through Peter's eyes. He has a story to tell, too. Are you listening?

I don't know about you, but to me, that synopsis is so intriguing! It sounds like the perfect read for me, and while I was still in the bookstore, as I was debating with myself whether or not to get it, I took the time to read the first chapter. It was so good already and the writing sounds so beautiful I just couldn't pass it up. It also didn't hurt that 1) I love The Diary of Anne Frank and 2) for some reason, Annexed reminds me of The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Need I say more?

This got me thinking about books we had no intention of getting or reading, but end up buying/borrowing anyway simply because of our attraction to its cover or its synopsis. I wonder, do you ever buy/borrow a book you have never heard about, or never read a single review of, simply because of this, shall we say, "instant connection?" Have you ever discovered any favorites because of this? What are some of those books? I'd love to hear from you.

11 comments:

  1. I always do that. :) When I see a wonderful cover I will pick the book up, read the back and 99% of the time I will buy it. Somethimes it's a miss, and somethimes it is one of the best books I ever read. :) Tommorow in my IMB post I'm going to show you a book that I discovered while waiting for my best friend at the trainstation. I haven't read it yet, but the cover is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done that for a lot of books. One example is the Penguin Classics. I bought a lot of old, gothic books some years ( Ann Radcliffe, Henry James etc) which I hadn't read any reviews of. I have also done that with YA - books. Fallen and Evermore are great examples. I preordered those books because I felt that instant connection that you are talking about.

    I normally try not to visit a bookshop too often, because I end up buying books even though I have a whole bunch waiting for me at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always seem to be buying a book by its cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently finished Anne Frank so when I hard of this I was sold also and so excited! until I found out it was some random person who wanted to write a made up perspective out of their imagination, then I was not so happy, let me know how it is though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All my life I have been a serendipitous reader--so reading books (mainly library books) that catch my notice that I have never heard of is the norm for me. My book intuition is well-honed so not too many duds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought about this idea, but of course, why not? Being in close proximity to someone and sharing such a deep, frightening experience. I love taking a chance on books then you aren't swayed by someone else's review. It would have to have a beautiful or intriguing cover tho.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This happened to me once with the book Prep. I had never heard of it before, and was rushing by a bookshelf in a store when it caught my eye. I had no idea what it was about but felt a compulsion to buy it...it turned out to be one of my favorite reads of 2010, so i try and shop like this more often!

    ReplyDelete
  8. At first, I thought I would pass on this. But the more I read about it the more it intrigues me. Luckily, I won a copy the other day :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Read this book back in Oct. and thought it a bold undertaking for a YA. It was interesting.

    Book covers attract me all the time! Can't think of one off hand that resulted into a fav.

    ReplyDelete
  10. +JMJ+

    My instant connection was with Howards End by E.M. Forster . . . but I regret to say that what I thought would be the beginning of a beautiful friendship has since turned a bit colder.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That happens to me all the time. I try to have a list of books that I might get when at the bookstore but sometimes I see a book that wasn't on my list but am intrigued by it so end up getting it too. I hope you enjoy Annexed.

    ReplyDelete