Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen

Friday, April 22, 2011

Genre: Young Adult - historical fiction/era
Rating: hard to rate! more than 2.5 stars, but less than 3.

What I Loved: As a friend of mine would say, "How darling!" This book definitely deserves that description. It offered such an engaging take on an era that have always interested me. In my opinion, Bright Young Things' biggest strength was the author's ability to create such a beautiful and tasteful ambiance. Her descriptions of 1920s New York, as well as the characters - especially the women - were spot on, rich, and inviting. I kept reading this book mainly for those reasons. I was in love with it!

What I Didn't Like: Unfortunately, the plot and character development was lacking. I felt like nothing was happening to contribute to the plot, and in the end, it seemed like the ending was simply rushed. The characters were also a bit of a miss for me. While they could be likable for another reader, for me, I didn't find myself rooting for them that much.

Overall: Anna Godbersen truly has a way with her words - her descriptions, details are lush and effortless. However, as a whole, I didn't end up loving the story itself. I would recommend the author's other series, The Luxe. Still, even though I didn't like this as much, I do believe it was an entertaining read and somebody else could love this.

3 comments:

  1. I thought it was okay, but was always comparing it to The Luxe series which is a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. Thanks for laying out the good and bad. I love the 20s so some day I have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aly - I agree. I enjoyed The Luxe series a lot.

    Juju - I love the 20s-50s too so I really appreciate this book's setting.

    ReplyDelete